Thursday, July 26, 2007

Two Shows: one near, the other far

Che, by Arturo Cuenca Sigaretta, 87-88

When I was a wee lil monkey, my pal Grover taught me the the dif between "near" and "far". Well, thank goodness cuz now I am a master at "near and far" and can easily goto places that are either near or far with the greatest of ease. Thanks, Grover!

Assuming you also have achieved such mastery, I am recommending two art shows, one near, and one (sort of) far.

First, the far one:

Cuba Avant-Garde: Contemporary Cuban Art from the Farber Collection at the Harn Museum in Gainesville- well worth the trip! A rich variety of work including paintings, photography, conceptual sculpture, drawing, folk artsy stuff. Many works subtly critique the regime in Cuba. Apparently, depending on certain times, most were allowed to make all but the most blatant critiques. One of the artists in this show spent time in prison for defecating on a state newspaper in a gallery! If I had ever done that, I would plead insanity- " I thought I was a caged lil birdy, your honor! I swear!" That woulda worked I am sure. The show closes Sept 9th. UF even published a nice book for the show.

And the near one:

" I Love Her, She Loves Me", Matt Allison at Opaq Gallery
I am VERY excited about this one. Matt has been super secretive about what it is gonna be but I have gotten some hints. Here's what the press release sez:
 Matt's work is a provocative blend of media, ranging
from the humble and discarded material of life, a grape-fruit peel,
a scrap of animal fur, a shredded snakeskin, to the glorified
and venerated symbols of Catholic iconography, religious
paraphernalia, and mythology. Matt's work explores our relics
and remains, the ways in which we see our past, and
they way we look to our future.

Art Walk, August 1, 2007, 5:00- 10:00 P.M.
Artist Reception, August 11, 2007, 8:00- 11:00 P.M
Closing Reception, August 18, 2007, 8:00-11:00 P.M.

Uh oh, Matt is gonna explore our "remains"?
I am too young to die, Matt!



So, go practice your near and far skills and go see these shows!
Maybe we can discuss after.




2 comments:

Byron said...

geat input Mark. I'm on it for the Matt Allison show. Can't wait to see it.

Wish he'd join JaxCAL. could you shoot him an invite?

Brittni said...

cant wait for his show. i have seen a glimpse and i will say, its going to be incredible...

i have actually talked to matt and katie several times about joining jaxcal, etc.....they do not have internet at their house, which makes it very difficult to be part of the blogosphere. i am sure if that was not an issue, they would be typin' away. :)